PRO*C compiling AIX 5.3

From: Ken Wallis <>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 12:41:42 +1100

In November, I posted a workaround here to this issue which I had run into and which had been previously referenced on this list. At that time I couldn't tell precisely which AIX release introduced the problem, but this morning I received an email from Christoph Brändle which ties it down to 5300-06 and identifies that Oracle 10g Release 2 still exhibits this problem on AIX 5.3.

KEN WALLIS You have posted a problem concerning the /usr/include/standards.h and its solution in the <> mailing list last November.

I just run into the same problem today with AIX 5300-06 and Oracle Apparently, Oracle 10g Release 2 is still not able to handle the #warning.

We also have an AIX 5300-05 machine, and here the problem does not occur. I was able to verify that the change in the standard.h file occurred with the patch from 5300-05 to 5300-06.

You might want to add this comment to your valued posting.

Best Regards

Christoph Brändle

Swisslog AG

PRO*C compiling AIX 5.3
2007-11-27 - By Ken Wallis

In July, Brian Shanblatt posted a query to this list regarding a problem with 9.2 Pro*C and AIX 5.3 for which there was no adequate answer (

However, his post turned up in a Google search when I ran into the same error with the same components and this helped me understand that I had a soluble problem which I have now overcome. I wanted to add some value by posting a follow up.

Brian, I recently ran into this same issue with a properly installed version of Oracle 'Pro*C/C++: Release' on AIX 5300-06. It appears that between AIX 5300-04 and 5300-06 IBM put a section into /usr/include/standards.h with this #warning line and Pro*C/C++ doesn't like it. This warning then appears to throw off the entire precompilation phase such that simple types such as size_t aren't defined and everything falls in a heap.

After unsuccessfully trying various fiddles involving DEFINE= in my proc invocation, I decided that rather than modify standards.h in /usr/include, I would make a local copy of standards.h in the directory with my source code and header files and edit that.

I changed IBM's:

#if defined(__IBM_PP_WARNING)
#warning The -qdfp option is required to process DFP code in headers.
#error The -qdfp option is required to process DFP code in headers.

#if !defined(__IBM_PP_WARNING)
#error The -qdfp option is required to process DFP code in headers.

My proc invocation already included INCLUDE=., so this local version of standards.h got pulled in instead of IBM's one and the proc command in the makefile then went through successfully.

Technical Consultant

PRO*C compiling AIX 5.3

2007-07-19 - By Brian Shanblatt

Hi Peter and all.

Thank you for your reply.

I just did an install of the patchset, which upgraded and relinked everything.

The same problem occurred with pro*c on the standards.h file.

I then relinked the precompilers and the shared client libraries.

Same error.

It might have something to do with the AIX patchsets. Metalink lists a whole bunch, and I will have the sysadmins on the machine check that we have them.