Re: Solars Zones and Oracle

From: Keith Pierno <keith.pierno_at_motricity.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 10:09:59 -0500

I have been running our Grid Control servers in Zones for almost a year and have not had any issues with doing so. The key to running Oracle in a zone is that the zone admin needs to setup the zone to have its own copy of any common directory that Oracle needs to write to (/var, /usr/local). The biggest limitation of zones is the lack of ability to control hardware resource from within a child zone, so this only affects RAC. If you wish to run RAC on a server configured with zones you will have to use the global zone since this is the only zone that has any direct hardware control.

I hope this helps.

Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 22:55:11 -0700
From: "Brian MacLean" <bpmaclean.oracle_at_gmail.com> Subject: Solars Zones and Oracle

Solars Zones and Oracle......It's a whole new world for me. Any quick thoughts on this anyone?

Pro's; Con's; GotYa's; Stability; Performance (CPU and I/O) hit; FYI's; Dynamic resizing issues; etc. etc. etc.

TIA NOTICE: This e-mail message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information of Motricity. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.