Re: Does SID always register with the listener?

From: Finn Jorgensen <finn.oracledba_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 09:57:49 -0500

Mark, if I do that the instance won't register with any listener at all. I do want it to register with the FINNTESTSB service name, just not the FINNTEST service/instance name.

Fairlie, I looked at that note. If I follow that advice I end up in the same situation Mark's reply puts me in. My instance won't register any service names with any listeners at all.

LS, thanks for the reply. I'm still hoping there's a parameter somewhere that can be set that turns off the instance name from registering with the listener and just use the service name(s) as configured.

FYI, here's the problem I'm trying to solve. My client has a lot of databases configured with dataguard. They use the instance name as the service name to connect to the primary and DNS to change which instance/host (current primary or standby after a failover) to connect to. They want to reconfigure that setup to use TAF for faster failovers. If I don't make any changes other than change tnsnames.ora to have multiple addresses (i.e. TAF) the result is if the first address happens to be the standby (like it would be after a switchover) then that is the database the TAF config connects to and the user gets an error (database shutdown or init in progress). To avoid that I follow metalink # 316740.1 which says to configure the primary with 2 service names and the standby with 1. I can't follow the example 100% since my client uses the actual instance name as the service name in all their apps. As a result my (test) primary is configured with service names as FINNTEST (instance name) and FINNTESTPR (primary) and the standby is configured with just FINNTESTSB (standby). However, the standby also registers FINNTEST (instance name) with the listener and as a result I'm back to square 1. My TAF tnsnames.ora config may send the user to the current standby first and the user gets an error when trying to log in.

If I can't turn off the instance name registration for the standby while still maintaining the service name registration, then I'm left with only the option of changing the apps to connect to a different service name than the instance name. This is a huge undertaking when we're taking dozens of databases/apps.

So I'm still hoping for the silver bullet.......

Finn