RE: Rman restore from backup on disk

From: <Joel.Patterson_at_crowley.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 10:07:00 -0500

I might be missing something here. When I duplicate if connect to a live running database.

Rman target sys/<p>@source auxiliary / trace tracefile.lis

I don't connect to the source if I am restoring (duplicating), from a backup....

Joel Patterson
Database Administrator
joel.patterson_at_crowley.com
x72546
904 727-2546

From: Finn Jorgensen [mailto:finn.oracledba_at_gmail.com] Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2008 10:05 AM To: Patterson, Joel
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: Rman restore from backup on disk

Joel,

By setting the "set until time" and using "duplicate database" you are effectively restoring the RMAN backup to another database name.

Yes, both the backup itself and the archive log backups necessary need to be available on the server you're restoring to.

Finn

On 2/26/08, Joel.Patterson_at_crowley.com <Joel.Patterson_at_crowley.com> wrote:

Can I restore a database from and RMAN backup on disk to new (different) database name?

If so how, is it analogous to duplicate? Restore database to newname?

Do archive have to be in the previous locations also?