RE: Rman restore from backup on disk

From: D'Hooge Freek <Freek.DHooge_at_uptime.be>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 16:15:57 +0100

Joel,

Rman duplicates always from an existing backup (or at least until 11g, which (I thought) has the possibility to clone without having a backup). The connection to the source db exists to get information about the database.

Freek D'Hooge
Uptime
Oracle Database Administrator
email: freek.dhooge_at_uptime.be
tel +32(0)3 451 23 82
http://www.uptime.be
disclaimer

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Joel.Patterson_at_crowley.com Sent: dinsdag 26 februari 2008 16:07
To: finn.oracledba_at_gmail.com
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: RE: Rman restore from backup on disk

I might be missing something here. When I duplicate if connect to a live running database.

Rman target sys/<p>@source auxiliary / trace tracefile.lis

I don't connect to the source if I am restoring (duplicating), from a backup....

Joel Patterson
Database Administrator
joel.patterson_at_crowley.com
x72546
904 727-2546

From: Finn Jorgensen [mailto:finn.oracledba_at_gmail.com] Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2008 10:05 AM To: Patterson, Joel
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org

Joel,

By setting the "set until time" and using "duplicate database" you are effectively restoring the RMAN backup to another database name.

Yes, both the backup itself and the archive log backups necessary need to be available on the server you're restoring to.

Finn

On 2/26/08, Joel.Patterson_at_crowley.com <Joel.Patterson_at_crowley.com> wrote: Can I restore a database from and RMAN backup on disk to new (different) database name? If so how, is it analogous to duplicate? Restore database to newname? Do archive have to be in the previous locations also?