RE: Clone Oracle 8i Database

From: M Rafiq <rafiq9857_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 21:37:09 -0500

What about if same windows server where one oracle9i database is located being re iamged from windows 2000 to windows2003 os? Will those database files worked if copied over again on Windows 2003 by following the same procedure given by you?

Subject: RE: Clone Oracle 8i Database
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 10:27:36 -0500
From: Thomas.Mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us To: gheibia_at_gmail.com; oracle-l_at_freelists.org

Amir,

As long as the physical files are still intact, you can simply copy them from one machine to the other.

Create the same directory structure on the new machine.
Copy the files over.
Get the same release of Oracle installed on the new machine.
Copy the init.ora & password files
over.
Run oradim to create the service on the new machine.

You should be able to bring the database up after that.

Tom