RE: Solaris Cluster Patches & Oracle Executable

From: Koivu, Lisa <Lisa.Koivu_at_starwoodvo.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 13:50:54 -0500

Hi Mike,

If I remember right, the January 2008 CPU initiated a relink. I'll be propagating that patchset to production next week.

I'm so glad it's scripted now. When I first started, I remember it was always a big deal to relink. Maybe the dba I worked with was paranoid and he passed it on to me. :-)

Lisa

From: Mike Rothouse [mailto:mrothouse_at_gmail.com] Sent: Friday, February 08, 2008 1:00 PM
To: oracle-l
Cc: Koivu, Lisa; roman.podshivalov_at_gmail.com Subject: Re: Solaris Cluster Patches & Oracle Executable

As Romas mentioned Metalink Note 131321.1, I also see there is automatic linking under certain conditions.

"Relinking occurs automatically under these circumstances:
- An Oracle product has been installed with an Oracle provided
installer.
- An Oracle patch set has been applied via an Oracle provided
installer."

Would this include the quarterly Critical Patch Updates? Just wondering if relinking will occur at some point in the future that you would need to be aware of so as not to encounter problems.

Mike

On Feb 8, 2008 9:45 AM, Roman Podshivalov <roman.podshivalov_at_gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

Even though Metalink note 131321.1 says you have to relink after OS patches based on vendor requirements, we usually do so only after major OS upgrades like Solaris 8 -> Solaris 10. It's more a safety measure than a requirement because usually all OS libraries are utilized by Oracle as dynamic objects. You can run ldd command on $ORACLE_HOME/bin/oracle to check this out.

--romas

This electronic message transmission contains information from the Company that may be proprietary, confidential and/or privileged. The information is intended only for the use of the individual(s) or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying or distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. If you have received this electronic transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to the address listed in the "From:" field.