Re: Paralellizing Pl/sql inserts

From: GovindanK <gkatteri_at_fastmail.fm>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 15:16:14 -0800

Ken

Many suggestions have been thrown in. Did you issue the command ALTER SESSION ENABLE PARALLEL DML and cross verify with the number of sid, serial# (threads) that was created in v$session. Also, increasing your sort_area_size helps prior to such merges in case you are updating the indexes at the time of dataload. If you have not done please do so. I have tried this and have found faster response for parallel data loads / inserts / updates. Please do so and let us know the results. If you are NOT having standby then you can use the NOLOGGING clause for DMLs/DDLs. As someone suggested, you can drop the indexes and re-create them as NOLOGGING (parallel + sort_Area_size suitable value) again if NO Standby. If not critical you can move back to noarchivelog and them back to archivelog after the load (I have not really tried it to see how much performance gain it offers).

HTH
GovindanK