Re: remote DBA job - pros and cons.

From: Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 09:39:21 -0800 (PST)

Wondering if this is a case where the lure is sponsoring someone to come work in the US from abroad with a green card? If that is the case, then it might not be a good opportunity to get your foot in the door.

Cheers!

RF

Robert G. Freeman
Author:
Oracle Database 11g New Features (Oracle Press) Portable DBA: Oracle (Oracle Press)
Oracle Database 10g New Features (Oracle Press) Oracle9i RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press) Oracle9i New Feature
Blog: http://robertgfreeman.blogspot.com (Oracle Press)

  • Original Message ---- From: Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber_at_gmail.com> To: dannorris_at_dannorris.com Cc: p4cldba_at_gmail.com; oracle-l <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2008 7:08:49 AM Subject: Re: remote DBA job - pros and cons.

$33/hour on W2 for an Oracle DBA with no benefits? I bet they would love to have you work for that. At the very least, they need to provide benefits for that Salary. That's a junior DBA scale.

On Jan 14, 2008 7:00 PM, Dan Norris <dannorris_at_dannorris.com> wrote:

No, that's not how it should work, I don't care where you live. If you're a contractor, then it's okay to provide no benefits, but if you're on a W-2, then I think it's fair to expect some benefit of being a full-time employee (and barred from seeking other work, I presume).

I'd love to play a game of "guess what company made you the offer", but that would probably get negative very quickly and might get mean. Regardless, I've already privately assembled a list likely possibilities, just for my own enjoyment :).

I don't know too many people that would be in a position to accept a job with the parameters you stated.

Dan