linux environment question

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 14:37:20 +0000

all

I'm betraying my ignorance here so be gentle. We configured an oracle account with an ORACLE_HOME environment variable ( in .bash_profile) of

/path/to/oracle/home

and also set the PATH as $ORACLE_HOME/bin:$PATH $ORACLE_SID was also set correctly.

connecting to the running database gave 'initialisation or shutdown in progress'. If however we ran oraenv we were able to connect. On comparison we discovered that if we set ORACLE_HOME as

/path/to/oracle/home/ (trailing /)

then we could connect just fine. My question is why is the trailing slash apparently necessary?

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA