RE: Operations that perform multiblock I/O and cluster factor

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 16:18:12 -0500

Sounds like a slightly twisted restatement of the fact that some things that could logically be done as an index range scan are converted to a FFS because the optimizer determines it will be cheaper to read the whole thing than to walk the tree for the required range. Thus having been converted to a FFS, you'll see scattered reads when you thought it might be doing sequential reads to service what is logically a range scan.

If your co-worker has a case where what you reported was contended can be shown, I'd like to see it. I hope there is more light than heat in this debate. I'm not clear how Oracle would guess which blocks to multiblock read to perform an index range scan, unless it reads them all, which it should have reported as a FFS to begin with.