Re: oracle rac 10g and OS clusterware.

From: Dan Norris <dannorris_at_dannorris.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 19:05:14 -0800 (PST)

Ujang,

I'm not sure what topic you're looking for in a metalink note. You mentioned earlier note 220970.1 (RAC FAQ) which contains statements about requiring Oracle Clusterware even with other third-party clusterware installed. The RAC Technologies Matrix for UNIX also clearly shows that the so-called third-party clusterware software is considered a cluster volume manager and/or cluster filesystem for purposes of the matrix. See it at http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/clustering/certify/tech_generic_unix_new.html

I looked and can't find anything that specifically states that Oracle Clusterware is required regardless of whether you choose to have an additional clusterware installed. I only see that the installation guides clearly state that the process includes installing clusterware, then installing RDBMS for RAC clusters and even references the possibility of having another clusterware installed. So, I suppose my knowledge comes from discussions and failed attempts :).

Any time you have Oracle Clusterware, you'll have an OCR (just like every Oracle Database has a control file).

As for the purposes of CSSD and OPROCD, you'll find all that and more in the documentation at http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/rac.102/b14197/admcon.htm#CJHGEJGJ

The only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

Dan

P.S. While not answering any questions posed here, in my searching for links for this response, I came across a nice presentation done by Krish of the RAC Pack team on CRS & RAC Troubleshooting. He's definitely one of the best Clusterware troubleshooting gurus I know. Check it out at http://www.oracleracsig.org/pls/htmldb/RAC_SIG.download_my_file?p_file=1001220

dan,

my response is inline, see below

On 12/5/07, Dan Norris <dannorris_at_dannorris.com> wrote:
> Ujang,

<deleted>

> The answer to your question is that it depends. You will always have
 to have
> Oracle Clusterware if you're building a 10g cluster. However, if you
> additionally use a 3rd party clusterware (one that uses I/O fencing
 instead
> of reboots to handle node eviction), Oracle Clusterware will not
 handle
> cluster membership and therefore won't impose its "reboot the other
 node"
> scheme of node eviction. I should mention that I believe this is true
 in
> most cases, but not all cases.

do you have metalink note regarding this? so for this case, what is the main task of CSSD and OPROCD?? and why still need OCR??

sorry for the idiot question...

> If you use just Oracle Clusterware (which is the only requirement and
> handles all cluster management needs albeit with using node reboots
 to evict
> them from the cluster), you'll be subject to node reboots if node
 eviction
> is required.
>
> See Kirk McGowan's post on Oracle Clusterware's node eviction methods
 at
> http://blogs.oracle.com/kmcgowan/2007/08/09#a13 for some additional
 insight.

> Dan