RE: Cluster File System Versus ASM for RAC Deployment in Production?... Pros & Cons

From: VIVEK_SHARMA <VIVEK_SHARMA_at_infosys.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 08:55:01 +0530

More info please Hamid, folks on Comparison between CFS , ASM in terms of what made you choose CFS over ASM, Performance, scalability, availability, migration, ease of use, backups, need for training, nature of outages on CFS etc.

Any Docs / Links?

Cheers

From: Hameed, Amir [mailto:Amir.Hameed_at_xerox.com] Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2007 8:49 AM

Vivek,
I can speak for the CFS as we are running one from Veritas. Your admin should be properly trained otherwise you may see outages during business hours.

Folks

Additionally does ASM administration need additional Skill Set / Training versus administration on Cluster File System(CFS), for RAC? If so, in what context?

Folks
For subsequent RAC Deployment in ver 10gR2, A Banking customer needs to take a decision on use of Cluster file system versus ASM?

Prima-facie, How do the 2 compare in terms of Performance, scalability, availability, migration, ease of use, backups, need for training etc.

Any Docs, Links will help.

Currently Production Deployment info:-