why the cardinality of explain plan defers with the caridnality in row source operation

From: ajeet ojha <oraclev28_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 19:45:27 +0530

Hello,

In my database environment for many of the queires the explain plan cardinality defers (huge difference) with the cardinality shown by row source operations of tkprof.
I have been trying to find all possible reasons -

so far I came to know that 2 main reasons -

  1. limitation of cbo as mentioned in the link below

http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/asktom/f?p=100:11:0::::P11_QUESTION_ID:40230704959128

it also tells that solution is such cases is use dynamic_samping.

2. the other reason is poor stats on the undelying tables/indexes.

please add if there are any more.

also how to collect a good stats - is there any oracle recommendation - best practices ?

are the above 2 are only reasons or there are many more - i went to differnt forums and it seems that there are many more. please share if you have come across such sitution - possible solutions etc.

Thanks
Ajeet