Re: Statistics graphing and analysis

From: Charles Schultz <sacrophyte_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 06:51:56 -0500

We looked at dbms_space.object_growth_trend, but have been highly disappointed in it. The lack of anyone saying much about it (not just here, but in other forums as well) leads me to believe it is not in high demand. So I eventually wrote my own stuff. It is currently quite a mess, but the output is very nice. We have a central repository database that stores info for all our databases, and I use Oracle's linear regression functions to get trend data, then plot it all in javascript with MochiKit PlotKit. Using gnuplot might have been better in some aspects, but I really like PlotKit after using it.

Obviously, we are not keep tracking of each object; we only get as granular as a tablespace. That has been quite adequate for our needs, but I like the direction you are going with your thoughts. Looking forward to what others have to say.

On 10/24/07, Herring Dave - dherri <Dave.Herring_at_acxiom.com> wrote:

> I'm hoping that I can get a few of you to give feedback / input on tools
> or perhaps even methods for graphing statistics. Currently I've got a
> variety of OS tools gathering OS stats on 15 or so Linux RHEL 4.x and HP
> Tru64 5.x servers, which are then uploaded into Oracle tables. Then on a
> regular basis I run queries to present that data in .csv format, which I
> then cut-paste into Excel and provide a variety of graphs on CPU, memory,
> space, and I/O usage, for current month, past 6 months, and 18 month trend
> for each production server. This is becoming way to much work and I'm
> trying to find a better method.
>
> The purpose of the graphs is to get an overall view of resources and their
> usage trends, to not only aid in forecasting but also watch out for subtle
> changes. This method has also been handy in analyzing different, specific
> situations, such as a detailed look at volume usage within a filesystem,
> comparing service times in ms over time, blah, blah, blah...
>
> Anyway, does anyone else do this type of thing? Is there a better way to
> accomplish this? It sure seems like way too much of my time is spent on
> this. I was looking through Jared's "Perl for Oracle DBAs" book and thought
> "StatsView" might help, assuming I could somehow do all this in perl. I
> also thought about a variety of .ksh scripts and gnuplot. But, I figured
> it'd be best to check with the expects and see what they're doing.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Dave
> ___________________________________
> David C. Herring, DBA| A c x i o m Delivery Center Organization
> 630-944-4762office |630-430-5988 wireless|630-944-4989 fax

> The information contained in this communication is confidential, is
> intended only for the use of the recipient named above, and may be legally
> privileged.
>
> If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are
> communication is strictly prohibited.
>
> If you have received this communication in error, please resend this
> communication to the sender and delete the original message or any copy
> of it from your computer system.
>
> Thank You.

Charles Schultz