Statistics graphing and analysis

From: Herring Dave - dherri <Dave.Herring_at_acxiom.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 21:16:04 -0500

I'm hoping that I can get a few of you to give feedback / input on tools or perhaps even methods for graphing statistics. Currently I've got a variety of OS tools gathering OS stats on 15 or so Linux RHEL 4.x and HP Tru64 5.x servers, which are then uploaded into Oracle tables. Then on a regular basis I run queries to present that data in .csv format, which I then cut-paste into Excel and provide a variety of graphs on CPU, memory, space, and I/O usage, for current month, past 6 months, and 18 month trend for each production server. This is becoming way to much work and I'm trying to find a better method.

The purpose of the graphs is to get an overall view of resources and their usage trends, to not only aid in forecasting but also watch out for subtle changes. This method has also been handy in analyzing different, specific situations, such as a detailed look at volume usage within a filesystem, comparing service times in ms over time, blah, blah, blah...

Anyway, does anyone else do this type of thing? Is there a better way to accomplish this? It sure seems like way too much of my time is spent on this. I was looking through Jared's "Perl for Oracle DBAs" book and thought "StatsView" might help, assuming I could somehow do all this in perl. I also thought about a variety of .ksh scripts and gnuplot. But, I figured it'd be best to check with the expects and see what they're doing.

Thanks.

Dave

David C. Herring, DBA  |   A c x i o m  Delivery Center Organization 630-944-4762 office | 630-430-5988 wireless | 630-944-4989 fax

The information contained in this communication is confidential, is intended only for the use of the recipient named above, and may be legally privileged.

If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this communication in error, please resend this communication to the sender and delete the original message or any copy of it from your computer system.

Thank You.