Re-setting up Data Guard (Physical Standby)

From: Kevin Lidh <kevin.lidh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 08:58:05 -0600

We have a Solaris 9 environment with a 2-node RAC primary cluster and a single-node standby server. We are at 10.2.0.1.0 and had Data Guard set up between the RAC databases and the physical standbys. We had some kind of disk issue which took down the cluster and we failed over to the standby. In the process of bringing up databases, some of them were brought up with RESETLOGS. This can't be changed, obviously. Since then, we've done backups from the DR site and are in the process of rebuilding the standbys on the primary cluster. I tried to use RMAN to duplicate for standby but had issues so I took a different approach (can't do a backup during regular hours):

I did a regular restore of the database and my current log sequence is 276. I created a backup of the new primary's controlfile for backup and copied it in place on the new standby site. I issued a "startup nomount" "alter database mount standby database" and then "recover managed standby database disconnect from session". I get an error in the alert logs from the primary and standby saying:

FAL[client]: Failed to request gap sequence  GAP - thread 1 sequence 30665-30665

So I'm wondering why I'm even requesting an old archive log? We're also running into issues where the old DG settings are trying to take over. The old DG settings have the old primary as primary, etc.