Re: Re-setting up Data Guard (Physical Standby)

From: Ranko Mosic <ranko.mosic_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 15:35:59 -0400

Obviously old log seq# are still remembered by new primary somehow ( although you are using new controlfile for standby ). What we did before activating managed recovery was to recover manually first, then activate managed recovery.
startup nomount
alter database mount standby database;
alter database open read only; -- don't ask why, don't understand this, but works ( 9i/HP-UX though )
recover automatic standby database parallel 44; -- need job_queue_processes = 0 for this.
Once it catches up with primary we activate data guard;

Ranko.

On 10/11/07, Kevin Lidh <kevin.lidh_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> We have a Solaris 9 environment with a 2-node RAC primary cluster and a
> single-node standby server. We are at 10.2.0.1.0 and had Data Guard set
> up between the RAC databases and the physical standbys. We had some
> kind of disk issue which took down the cluster and we failed over to the
> standby. In the process of bringing up databases, some of them were
> brought up with RESETLOGS. This can't be changed, obviously. Since
> then, we've done backups from the DR site and are in the process of
> rebuilding the standbys on the primary cluster. I tried to use RMAN to
> duplicate for standby but had issues so I took a different approach
> (can't do a backup during regular hours):
>
> I did a regular restore of the database and my current log sequence is
> 276. I created a backup of the new primary's controlfile for backup and
> copied it in place on the new standby site. I issued a "startup
> nomount" "alter database mount standby database" and then "recover
> managed standby database disconnect from session". I get an error in
> the alert logs from the primary and standby saying:
>
> FAL[client]: Failed to request gap sequence
> GAP - thread 1 sequence 30665-30665
>
> So I'm wondering why I'm even requesting an old archive log? We're also
> running into issues where the old DG settings are trying to take over.
> The old DG settings have the old primary as primary, etc.

Regards,
Ranko Mosic
Consultant Senior Oracle DBA
B. Eng, Oracle 10g, 9i Certified Database Professional
Phone: 416-450-2785
email: mosicr_at_rogers.com
http://ca.geocities.com/mosicr@rogers.com/ContractSeniorOracleDBARankoMosicMain.html