RE: 10g ORDER BY Performance (doh!)

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 12:07:28 -0400

Sorry. I see from the original post this is NOT specifically about GROUP BY without sorts. For the set of scripts that do have GROUP BY, either the setting or the previously suggested automated script edit should work.

For scripts with neither a group by nor an order by it is difficult to create a solution without making presumptions about the desired order and the order the data was originally inserted into the tables as well as any intervening deletes followed by inserts as well as updates involving the columns involved in the former coincidental ordering of the result sets.

Now possibly you could get back to sloppy acceptability and previous behavior by setting both those parameters previously referenced in the thread as well as manually setting your hash area parameter to an absurdly small size. But otherwise, see Tanel's note.