Re: Second listener is not working

From: Rich Jesse <rjoralist_at_society.servebeer.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 00:16:45 -0500 (CDT)

Hi J.,

Your instance, specifically PMON, is autoregistering the instance to the default listener, which is called LISTENER and is at port 1521. If you do a "lsnrctl status listener", you should see all your databases, regardless of whether or not they're in the listener.ora.

To prevent the autoregistration, look up the LOCAL_LISTENER init.ora parameter.

Also, in most flavors of Linux, you can see active ports with the netstat command:

        netstat -l

or

        netstat -l | grep LISTEN

should give you what you need.

Given the nature of your question, you will want to read up on the Listener:

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/network.920/a96580/listener.htm

Only one is generally needed per server and can handle multiple instances/services. Of course, there are exceptions... :)

HTH! GL! Rich