Re: Netbackup Client Using Wrong Server

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 12:16:47 -0700

On 8/21/07, Allen, Brandon <Brandon.Allen_at_oneneck.com> wrote:

> We had Netbackup 5.1 MP4 client on an old Windows NT 4.0 box (yes, the
> customer is still running their production Oracle 8.0.6 database on NT 4.0)
> and backups were working fine until last weekend when our network guys
> performed some sort of network reconfiguration and now the backup server has
> a different IP address and they want me to access it by a different name. I
> can still connect to the backup server just fine with ping and even with the
> Netbackup client utilities like bpclimagelist as long as I explicitly
> specify "-server newservername" with the command, but if I run bpclimagelist
> and don't specify the new server name, it defaults to the old server name,
> which is no longer accessible - and returns no output.

See what is in the registry:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\VERITAS\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Config\Server

This probably holds the old value for the Master Server.

You could change that and see if it works. If not, re-installing the client SW is probably the easiest solution.

My RMAN backups have the same problem. Even though I set NB_ORA_SERV to the
> new server name in my script, it still tries to connect to the old server
> name for some reason - as I can see in the Netbackup dbclient log file. I
> made sure the new server was set to (CURRENT) in the "Backup, Archive and
> Restore" GUI tool, and even created a bp.conf file in C:\Program
> Files\Veritas\Netbackup and put server=newservername. I also rebooted to
> make sure these changes took effect, but still no luck.

There have been problems with the PARMS parameter in the past. (There still are with some versions of NBU)

How do you know that the PARMS parameters worked in the past, and you weren't
just lucky and all the defaults worked?

--
Jared Still