Netbackup Client Using Wrong Server

From: Allen, Brandon <Brandon.Allen_at_OneNeck.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 11:27:01 -0700

Okay Jared, you've been having all the fun with Netbackup, so now it's my turn. Maybe you've already seen this one before too:

We had Netbackup 5.1 MP4 client on an old Windows NT 4.0 box (yes, the customer is still running their production Oracle 8.0.6 database on NT 4.0) and backups were working fine until last weekend when our network guys performed some sort of network reconfiguration and now the backup server has a different IP address and they want me to access it by a different name. I can still connect to the backup server just fine with ping and even with the Netbackup client utilities like bpclimagelist as long as I explicitly specify "-server newservername" with the command, but if I run bpclimagelist and don't specify the new server name, it defaults to the old server name, which is no longer accessible - and returns no output. My RMAN backups have the same problem. Even though I set NB_ORA_SERV to the new server name in my script, it still tries to connect to the old server name for some reason - as I can see in the Netbackup dbclient log file. I made sure the new server was set to (CURRENT) in the "Backup, Archive and Restore" GUI tool, and even created a bp.conf file in C:\Program Files\Veritas\Netbackup and put server=newservername. I also rebooted to make sure these changes took effect, but still no luck.

Here is the line from the dbclient log file where I can see it picking up the old server name (name changed to protect the innocent):

09:57:54.656 [160.390] <4> dbc_GetServerClientConfig: ServerName: <hp02-old>, ClientName: <baansrv7>

Then, after 5 minutes, it eventually dies with error 25 because hp02-old is no longer accessible:

10:03:20.750 [160.390] <2> nb_getsockconnected: exceeded timeout of 300 seconds
10:03:20.750 [160.390] <2> bprd_connect: Cannot connect to server hp02-old
10:03:20.750 [160.390] <2> bprd_get_features: bprd_connect(hp02-old) failed, cannot connect on socket (25)

I've searched all over the Veritas knowledge base and even followed the "In-depth Troubleshooting" guide for error 25, but no luck. I think I can probably get the backups to work by adding an entry to the hosts file for the old server name and pointing to the new IP address, but I'm trying to avoid such a hack if I can.

Any ideas where Netbackup is still getting the old server name from?

Thanks,
Brandon