RE: Hybrid histograms in 11g ?

From: Milen Kulev <makulev_at_gmx.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 16:15:06 +0200

Hello Chris,
Thank you very much for your reply !
I have neither personally tried 11g now, nor read the 11g documentation till now, but it will come anyway ;) The multidimentional/hybrid (in Oracle terms "extended statistics") histograms are well known in the academic world, I was just interested in the Oracle implementation:

http://www.sigmod.org/vldb/conf/1997/P486.PDF
http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/poosala97selectivity.html
http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/poosala97selectivity.html
http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=223841&dl=ACM&coll=GUIDE
http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?doid=233269.233342
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~natassa/courses/15-823/current/papers/poosala96improved.pdf
http://www1.cs.columbia.edu/~gravano/Papers/2004/icde04.pdf
http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/358037.html

---overview of historams
http://infolab.stanford.edu/~widom/cs346/ioannidis.pdf

I had an imperssion that multidimentional histograms need much more than 254 buckets in order to be precise enough. Another issue (according the academic research papers) is the maintainance of this histograms...

"
I tested it carefully and it works fine. This is IMHO one of the central features of 11g. Why? Simply because it solves a real problem occurring in virtually every database. Of course the marketing will never tell us something about that ;-)"

Oracle Marketing is pretty busy advertising the most new, hot features ( SQL Plan Management and Database reply to mention a few) that should be separately licenced e.g. bring more revenue.

Of course, I will participate at your session in October.

Have a nice weekend.
Best Regards. Milen