RE: Hybrid histograms in 11g ?

From: Christian Antognini <Christian.Antognini_at_trivadis.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 10:29:13 +0200

Hi Milen

> Are these so called "Hybrid histograms" ?

No. In the documentation they are called extended statistics. And that because it's not only matter of providing histogram, but all kind of object statistics.

> If yes, is there still a constraint of 254 buckets per histogram?

Yes.

> Any ideas, experiences from "early birds" in this list ?

I tested it carefully and it works fine. This is IMHO one of the central features of 11g. Why? Simply because it solves a real problem occurring in virtually every database. Of course the marketing will never tell us something about that ;-)

HTH
Chris

PS: During the next TechEvent I'll hold a presentation about the 11g new features related to the query optimizer. Extended statistics will be part of it... So, feel free to participate ;-)