Re: set based transaction management; SAVEPOINTS

From: Nigel Thomas <nigel_cl_thomas_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 11:26:58 -0700 (PDT)

Cosmin

You can execute something like this:

for x in (select y from z where ...)
loop
   -- do processing

   rowcount := rowcount + 1

   if processing_by_batch then
      if error_was_detected then
          rollback; -- this discards changes in this iteration only
      elsif rowcount % 1000 = 0 then
          commit;
      end if;
   end if;
end loop;

If you are using batch fetches (bulk collect) then you can simply commit after every bulk iteration.

Handling errors: when you detect an error, set the error_was_detected boolean. All your DML should be within:
  if NOT error_was_detected then
     ... perform updates
  end if;

to minimise the amount of rollback required (essentially you just spin through the rest of the batch, and don't restart DML until the beginning of the next batch.

Note that commits within a PL/SQL block are somewhat "special" - ie commit write nowait. See Christo Kutrovsky's explanation of that here: http://www.pythian.com/blogs/162/quantifying-commit-time.

BUT: because you are selecting across commits - so you may suffer ORA-1555 (snapshot too old) on the main select (ie it can't reconstruct a read-consistent view). That really depends whether your processing is directly impacting on the data you are selecting.

Regards Nigel