Re: Creation of ASM Disk Group on Solaris 10 ?

From: Alex Gorbachev <ag_at_oracloid.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 00:01:21 -0400

Randy, see inline...

On 7/10/07, Randy Johnson <randyjo_at_sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> "If using hardware RAID, make sure LUN stripe size is as close to
> 1mb as possible"

Well, that seems to be a workaround when DBA don't have final say (i. e. more or less real life). Unfortunately, not every SAN box supports large stripe sizes. Plus, as I said, sometimes smaller sizes might improve performance a little. On the other hand - 5-10% improvements by sacrificing manageability is not what you usually want.

> Truth is I'm still considering which is better. Seems like the premise of
> improving performance using plaid is that you spread the physical read out
> across multiple spindles. Perhaps a RAID 5 configuration is where plaid
> would be more applicable. For example each LUN being a 4/8 disk RAID group.

www.baarf.com. ;-)

Cheers,
Alex

--
Alex Gorbachev, Oracle DBA Brewer, The Pythian Group
http://www.pythian.com/blogs/author/alex http://www.oracloid.com