Shared Pool vs Buffer Cache with ASMM

From: Richard Saints <saints.richard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 11:26:23 +0100

Hello to you all,

I've a mobile application that uses Oracle Lite 10g ( 10.2.0.2) as mobile server and Oracle Database Server 10g release 1 (10.1.0.2) as the repository database. Both of these components are installed on servers with Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server.

My question is related with the repository database:

We use Automatic Shared Memory Management and have a SGA target = to the SGA Max Size = 1336Mb. ASMM always gave a bigger slice of memory to the Buffer Cache (about 70%), but in the last 2 weeks I noticed that the value of the Shared Pool started to increase and now it's bigger than Buffer Cache (a slice of 49,7%).

Here's my current situation:

*Shared Pool 664* Mb

*Buffer Cache 648* Mb

Large Pool 8 Mb

Java Pool 8 Mb

Other 8 Mb

I have some knowledge of Oracle Database Server Architecture, but I'm being able to interpret this behavior or why this is happening. Can anyone give me some help or some ideas ?

It's also important to say that we have been experiencing some performance problems in the last two weeks. We are also having a bigger volume of data.

Thanks for all your attention.

Best Regards,

Ricardo Santos
PL/SQL Analyst/Developer