RE: TOAD Access to other Schemas

From: Boyle, Christopher <Christopher.Boyle_at_MultiPlan.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 10:40:04 -0400

I couldn't agree with Raj more (and I used to be one of his developers too!) I am in the process of having the developers' access to the schema that holds the tables revoked. They can work in an _USER schema and qualify their references but too many "I couldn't wait to follow the procedures so I made the changes myself" that never got included in a model or build script have warranted this type of lock down. (Plus, they get the scripts wrong. Not all the developers. Not even most or many of the developers. But enough.)

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of rjamya Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2007 10:08 PM
To: DENISE_at_wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: TOAD Access to other Schemas

this is a BIG NO NO. In-fact you can get away with SELECT ANY TABLE, but that too is a NO NO in production/devl environment. Anyone who claims they cannot do any development without these privs is trying for a easy workaround (aka borderline lazy).

Ask them what they want, and grant only that, nothing more. Any blanket privilege (e.g. %ANY% types) are _bad_ imho in development environment because you will need those in production then too.

My $0.0185

Raj

This email has been scanned by the MessageLabs Email Security System. For more information please visit http://www.messagelabs.com/email

NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIALITY: Information included in and/or attached to this electronic mail transmission may be confidential. This electronic mail transmission is intended for the addressee(s) only. Any unauthorized disclosure, reproduction, or distribution of, and/or any unauthorized action taken in reliance on the information in this electronic mail is prohibited. If you believe that you have received this electronic mail transmission in error, please notify the sender by reply transmission, or contact helpdesk_at_multiplan.com, and delete the message without copying or disclosing it.