RE: find what tables are being used in the database

From: Jordan Casey <Casey.Jordan_at_brickstreet.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 10:50:03 -0400

I was also thinking of auditing but was looking for other possible solutions. I did not think of turning on index monitoring, that may help also.

Thanks.

From: Hallas, John (EXP N-ARM) [mailto:john.hallas_at_lmco.com] Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2007 10:22 AM
To: Jordan Casey; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: RE: find what tables are being used in the database

Auditing is probably the best get, although there may be monthly, annual or ad-hoc tables that might take a time to appear in the audit tables.

Any table with an index on it is presumably in use (or was at one time)

Do an analysis of dba_source and try and pull out table names.

If the db has been running for 10 years then why do you need to document it now?

John

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Jordan Casey Sent: 14 June 2007 15:07
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: find what tables are being used in the database

What is the easiest way to find out what tables are being used in a 10.2.0.2 database? I am using dba_tab_modifications but this only tracks inserts, updates, or deletes. I am trying to document a database that has been running for about 10 years and has over 1500 tables. It has no little integrity constrains and no documentation.

Thanks.