Re: Few questions about Stored outlines

From: Jeremy Paul Schneider <jeremy.schneider_at_ardentperf.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 17:34:52 -0700

Hello fellow chicagoan. :)

  1. "Best approach" depends entirely on what you're trying to accomplish - you can create then one at a time or automatically in bulk by putting the database in "generate outline" mode.
  2. Stored outlines were indeed designed to assist with upgrades (in particular moving from RBO to CBO) - they can move across versions. Seems I've read in a few blogs that in 10g they take precedence over sql profiles, so beware. Also keep in mind that a stored outline is just a set of hints - I don't have any examples but it seems like maybe a plan could somehow change across an upgrade.
  3. I put a decent list of resources on a blog post I wrote about them recently, look at the bottom of this page: http://www.ardentperf.com/2007/03/23/tuning-sql-statement-execution-in-10g-part-2/

-Jeremy

--
Jeremy Schneider