Oracle Wallets and TDE

From: William Wagman <wjwagman_at_ucdavis.edu>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 08:44:42 -0700

Greeting,

I am playing with TDE and uploading Oracle Wallets to OID as a means of storing and backing up the wallet. For purposes of encrypting using TDE it is possible to create the wallet via sqlplus rather than using the Wallet Manager. However I have found that a wallet created via sqlplus can apparently not be uploaded to OID using the wallet manager. For some reason the wallet manager does not allow this. Instead the wallet must be created using the wallet manager. I guess that makes sense. Anyway, I opened an SR to ask if this was expected behavior and the response I received from Oracle is "It is not documented anywhere but if that is working that is the way that it must work." Not very reassuring. That's not quite what I expected to hear although I do agree it isn't very well documented anywhere I looked. That's why I opened the SR. At any rate, has anyone played with this or does anyone have an explanation or a documentation reference where I might find more information about this. I'd really like to know more about this.

Thanks.

Bill Wagman
Univ. of California at Davis
IET Campus Data Center