Re: Logical Standby

From: Mark Strickland <strickland.mark_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 13:43:25 -0700

I'm using Logical Standby with 10.1.0.5 (RAC, Solaris 5.9, Veritas, Hitachi SAN). I've hardly pushed the standby so I can't speak to performance implications. For me, it has been quite stable and there's rarely a SQL Apply crash. However, you have to be careful about large transactions in the primary, anything that will insert/update/delete more than, say, 100,000 rows. The redo stream contains row-level DML statements that correspond to the single DML executed in the primary. Over 100,000 such statements and SQL Apply will eventually slow to a crawl. A DML statement that affects 1,000,000 rows would likely finish sometime during the Obama Administration. His second term. So, if there are large transactions that have to be performed in production (add new column to large table, set column to default value for all rows, add not null constraint), we wrap them in a PL/SQL block using a cursor for loop with a commit every 10,000 rows. Works fine. The Logical Standby keeps right up. However, I can't 100% rely on folks to do large transactions correctly, so I can't 100% rely on the Logical Standby for any mission-critical reporting, ie, anything that couldn't wait 24 hours while I refresh a table or the entire database. I've had an SR open for 9 months and a bug has been filed. I did test this in 10.2.0.2 and the behavior is the same.

Regards,
Mark Strickland
Seattle, WA