Logical Standby

From: Smith, Steven K - MSHA <Smith.Steven_at_DOL.GOV>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 17:28:30 -0600

I'm researching data guard with physical and logical standby databases.

We currently are running standby database in 9.2 and are investigating options that data guard will give us after upgrading to 10.2.

Question I have is - how reliable and what issues have people with experience using logical standby? I see that there advantages would be availability to report and view data with possibly additional reporting indexes on the 'standby' server.. I understand that having that available in physical mode is an option, but updates stop while the database is open in 'read only' mode.

What is the performance hit? Assuming maximum performance mode. I don't trust the network to the standby site to recommend Max Protection or Max availability.

Ongoing maintenance? I know with our current standby database, the maintenance on the standby site is minimal. The setup is just pretty reliable as long as the network is available and not saturated.

Logical - large(r) bandwidth requirements?

I am currently reading the manuals so anything that I'll 'get to' please don't tell me to RTM. I'm looking for more actual experience and lessons learned.

Thanks

Steve Smith

Desk: 303-231-5499