RE: Backup Controlfile and ArchiveLog -- was re Urgent ORA-00600: internal error code

From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: Sat, 05 May 2007 00:47:30 +0800

Yes, besides the fact that the Data Dictionary check can make files go "MISSING",
the OPEN RESETLOGS actually *initializes* your online redo logs. So, it does make sense to backup your online redo logs that are ondisk, with the datafiles before the OPEN.
If your OPEN crashes -- and I have seen that happen a couple of times (eg missing or incorrect UNDO), block error etc --- then you can still re-attempt with the backup of the datafiles and even "apply" from the online redo log faking it to be an archivelog.

Hemant
At 11:01 PM Friday, Mark W. Farnham wrote:
><snip>
>
>In all cases, ensure that you HAVE CORRECTLY CREATED THE CONTROLFILEs,
>naming every DataFile -- once you OPEN, Oracle does a Data
>Dictionary check and any
>datafile in the Data Dictionary but not in your Controlfile becomes
>a "MISSING" datafile !
>{so sometimes we do another backup, if we can, before the OPEN RESETLOGS !}
>

><snip>
>
>Regarding the extra backup: This is also why, whichever side you are on in
>the quasi-religious argument about whether online redo logs should be backed
>up, the first step of recovery is to secure a copy of the quiescent images
>of the online redo logs (most safely apart from your backup media and most
>conveniently online) since they contain data that is permanently lost upon
>the execution of the open resetlogs command. Whether you (unlikely) crash
>restarting or experience PEBKAC during the recovery, having a copy of the
>logs as they exist before the restart gives you at least a chance to try
>again.
>
>Regards,
>
>mwf
>

>PS: PEBKAC, first heard by me from Mike Brown, Problem Exists Between
>Keyboard and Chair. Similar meaning to CFT (controlled flight into terrain)
>with fewer tragic overtones.

Hemant K Chitale
http://web.singnet.com.sg/~hkchital
and
http://hemantscribbles.blogspot.com
and
http://hemantoracledba.blogspot.com

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win" !"
Mohandas Gandhi Quotes
: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/m/mohandas_gandhi.html