Setting nls_date_format

From: Schauss, Peter <peter.schauss_at_ngc.com>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 13:20:21 -0400

I am running Oracle 10.2.0.2.0 on HPUX B.11.23.

We have an application which complains that it is getting the date in 'DD-MON-RR' format.

I changed nls_date_format for the database using:

alter system set nls_date_format = 'SYYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS' scope= spfile;

and restarted the instance to make the new value effective.

When I issue a "select sysdate from dual;" in sqlplus, I get the expected date format. I created a pfile and find the expected value there:

*.nls_date_format='SYYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS'

When I look at the nls_database_parameter view, however, I see

PARAMETER                      VALUE
NLS_DATE_FORMAT                DD-MON-RR

What is going on here and how can I set the "permanent" value for NLS_DATE_FORMAT? Thanks,
Peter Schauss