Re: RMAN Recovery

From: Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 13:39:16 -0700 (PDT)

This error means that the MML layer is not configured correctly. SBT is the tape interface to the MML layer. This has to be configured. Often this is done by the DBA and the SA in tandem.

RF
--- Rick Weiss <RWeiss_at_safmt.org> wrote:

> I finally get the chance to recover from a failure
> and it turns out to
> be the worst kind - DW (NOARCHIVELOG)
>
> 10.2 on RedHat
>
> I am using Robert's excellent RMAN book (which was
> delivered to me from
> Amazon only a week ago), but my RMAN isn't
> cooperating. I have good
> backups from a while back and have done these steps:
> - Flushed the data files
> - restored my control files
> - startup mount; on the database
>
> When I try to restore the database from disk backup,
> RMAN does this:
>
> Recovery Manager: Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Production on
> Thu May 3 12:28:52
> 2007
>
> Copyright (c) 1982, 2005, Oracle. All rights
> reserved.
>
> RMAN> connect target /;
>
> connected to target database: EDWPRD01
> (DBID=2782310113, not open)
>
> RMAN> allocate channel for maintenance device type
> disk;
>
> using target database control file instead of
> recovery catalog
> allocated channel: ORA_MAINT_DISK_1
> channel ORA_MAINT_DISK_1: sid=409 devtype=DISK
>
> RMAN> restore database;
>
> Starting restore at 03-MAY-07
> allocated channel: ORA_DISK_1
> channel ORA_DISK_1: sid=408 devtype=DISK
> released channel: ORA_DISK_1
> RMAN-00571:
>

> RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK
> FOLLOWS
> ===============
> RMAN-00571:
>

> RMAN-03002: failure of restore command at 05/03/2007
> 12:29:55
> ORA-19554: error allocating device, device type:
> SBT_TAPE, device
> name:
> ORA-27211: Failed to load Media Management Library
>
> RMAN>
>

> I am going to continue RTFM'ing, but was wondering
> if anyone has seen
> this or know where I am missing the boat.
>
> Thanks
>

> Rick Weiss
> Oracle Database Administrator
>
> Student Assistance Foundation
> P.O.Box 203101
> 2500 Broadway
> Helena, MT 59620-3101
>
> rweiss_at_safmt.org
> (406) 495-7356

Robert G. Freeman
Portable DBA: Oracle (Oracle Press)
Oracle Database 10g New Features (Oracle Press) Oracle9i RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press) Oracle9i New Features (Oracle Press)
Oracle Replication (Rampant Tech Press)
Mastering Oracle8i (Sybex)
Oracle8 to 8i Upgrade Exam Cram (Coriolis <RIP>) Oracle 7.3 to 8 Upgrade Exam Cram (Coriolis <RIP>)