RE: Case for Index Organized table?

From: Elliott, Patrick <patrick.elliott_at_medtronic.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 14:25:13 -0500

I would make it a regular table. If you make it an IOT, then you are forcing twice the I/O on it. You have to ask yourself the question, "Do I always want to use an index when referencing this table?" If the answer is, "Yes" then make it an IOT. If this is a data warehousing type application, or reporting database scenario, then you may want to reference many columns in this table at once or even all of the rows in the entire table for a query that needs a whole day. If this is true, then maybe an IOT is not a good option.

Pat

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Ram Raman Sent: Monday, April 23, 2007 2:12 PM
To: oracle-l
Subject: Case for Index Organized table?

Hi all,

I got a requirement from the developers to build a new table which has a column that will hold every second of every business day. That is the only column in the table. The table will be truncated everyday and loaded with the subsequent day's time. The developers told me that this table speeds up their queries, I also talked about using other ways but they said that they tested a few ways and found this one the best. They also want an index on that table. I am thinking of creating an index organized table for this purpose. Does anyone foresee any problem in this approach.

Ram.

CONFIDENTIALITY AND PRIVACY NOTICE
Information transmitted by this email is proprietary to Medtronic and is intended for use only by the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is private, privileged, confidential or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient or it appears that this mail has been forwarded to you without proper authority, you are notified that any use or dissemination of this information in any manner is strictly prohibited. In such cases, please delete this mail from your records. http://emaildisclaimer.medtronic.com