Re: Does Oracle Have Anything Similar to SqlServer "Deny" Attribute?

From: David Litchfield <david_at_databasesecurity.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 17:05:00 +0100

>I have recently read the paper "Microsoft SQL Server 2005 for the Oracle
>Professional", and on page 16 of this document it says that "Deny places
>an explicit blocker on a securable ... and always takes precedence over
>all other permissions". A securable can be a table. Currently our
>Developers have "select any table" privilege, but I have recently been
>asked to remove access from payroll tables.

Oracle's Database Vault can do this...

> I can do this via roles,
> but in our environment, there remain lots of ramifications to this. If
>there was something comparable to the "Deny" that Sql Server has, it
>would greatly simply this task.

If you can't change your environment too much then DbVault may not be the best approach but it's worth looking into...

HTH,
David

--
E-MAIL DISCLAIMER

The information contained in this email and any subsequent
correspondence is private, is solely for the intended recipient(s) and
may contain confidential or privileged information. For those other than
the intended recipient(s), any disclosure, copying, distribution, or any
other action taken, or omitted to be taken, in reliance on such
information is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the
intended recipient and have received this message in error, please
inform the sender and delete this mail and any attachments.

The views expressed in this email do not necessarily reflect NGS policy.
NGS accepts no liability or responsibility for any onward transmission
or use of emails and attachments having left the NGS domain.

NGS and NGSSoftware are trading names of Next Generation Security
Software Ltd. Registered office address: 52 Throwley Way, Sutton, SM1
4BF with Company Number 04225835 and VAT Number 783096402