Does Oracle Have Anything Similar to SqlServer "Deny" Attribute?

From: Sam Bootsma <sbootsma_at_georgebrown.ca>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 11:41:17 -0400

I don't think Oracle does, but I will ask anyways, because if it does, it will save me lots of work. We are on Oracle 10.2.0.2.

I have recently read the paper "Microsoft SQL Server 2005 for the Oracle Professional", and on page 16 of this document it says that "Deny places an explicit blocker on a securable ... and always takes precedence over all other permissions". A securable can be a table. Currently our Developers have "select any table" privilege, but I have recently been asked to remove access from payroll tables. I can do this via roles, but in our environment, there remain lots of ramifications to this. If there was something comparable to the "Deny" that Sql Server has, it would greatly simply this task.

Thanks All!

Sam Bootsma

Oracle Database Administrator

Information Technology Services
George Brown College

Phone: 416-415-5000 x4933
Fax: 416-415-4836
E-mail: sbootsma_at_georgebrown.ca <mailto:sbootsma_at_georgebrown.ca>