Re: RMAN limitiations when used with controlfile only

From: Syed Jaffar Hussain <sjaffarhussain_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 09:20:19 +0300

Jared,

One of the earlier myth was to have catalog when backing of multiple databases, if one database, then, recommendation was nocatalog. Myself thought, the myth is be reasonable as having another database for catalog, and its maintenance, of course cost associated with and other issues.
Recently past, I have realized that having catalog database wold be more beneficial than using nocatalog.
If catalog is in place, using report schema at time, you can even analyze the database growth.

On 4/18/07, Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear List:
>
> I have been compiling a list of limitiations that are imposed
> on RMAN when the catalog database is in the controlfile only.
>
> While Oracle recommends using a repository database, the
> official proclamation has been that its use is optional.
>
> Lately it has become apparent that a repository database
> isn't really optional.
>
> The only stated limitation of using the controfile only is that stored
> scripts cannot be used. There are several documents on MetaLink
> that seem to contradict that. Limitations with TSPITR, databases that
> may be missing archive log backups do to being opened with
> RESETLOGS, and others I'm sure.
>
> The fix for the limitiations I have found is to 'use a recovery catalog
> in the database.'
>
> If you know of any other limitations imposed on RMAN when the
> catalog resides only in the controlfile, please post them.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Jared Still

Best Regards,
Syed Jaffar Hussain
Oracle ACE
8i,9i & 10g OCP DBA

http://jaffardba.blogspot.com/
http://www.oracle.com/technology/community/oracle_ace/ace1.html#hussain
"Winners don't do different things. They do things differently."