RE: Oracle 10g R2 RAC - network configuration

From: Venkata Giri PG <dbagiri_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 22:14:23 +0000

Adrian,Thanks for your response. I got the metalink note 296856.1 and discussed with our network team. I don't think we have any scope for additional investment for upgrading our switch at this point of time. We are planning to use link aggregation method for teaming NIC's. Are there any issues in using this for private interconnect NIC's.As of know we are planning to use 10.2.0.2, are there any issues with it on AIX in particular.ThanksGiri   To: dbagiri_at_hotmail.com; oracle-l_at_freelists.orgCC: steve.adams_at_ixora.com.auSubject: RE: Oracle 10g R2 RAC - network configurationDate: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 20:32:05 +0100From: ade.turner_at_gmail.com

I take it you don’t have metalink access? One search for “etherchannel” turned up 296856.1 which states “On AIX 5L, NIC teaming can be achieved by using either Network Interface Backup (NIB) or EtherChannel.”.

Etherchannel is the best. Given the rest
of your investment I would spend a little more and upgrade your switch.

Note Clusterware can only use one IP
address and for resilience this should be provided via a teamed/bonded or load
balanced interface. The cluster_interconnects parameter is for block transfers only,
and is only needed if one line does not provide the required capacity.

Ensure that you use 10.2.0.3. On AIX get clusterware
to that level at the earliest opportunity, e.g. immediately after installation
of ORA_CRS_HOME, as otherwise your joy will have only just begun.

Cheers

Adrian