RE: RAC Geographical Architecture

From: Michael Fontana <MFontana_at_verio.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 16:45:56 -0400

Yes, Chandra, that's exactly what I was looking for. I just didn't have the right title. Excellent!

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Michael Fontana Sent: Monday, April 16, 2007 3:09 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: RAC Geographical Architecture

I recently attended the Oracle RAC class, and in the class, it was claimed that 10gR2 removes any geographical limitations on the implementation of RAC nodes. In other words, as long as your network is robust enough, your servers could be located many miles apart (whereas, in Oracle 9i, there was a 500 foot limit using fibre-optic connections).

I can't seem to find any documentation of this. The Oracle consultant that helped teach the class claimed this was already being done at various customer shops, but he didn't recommend it because of network reliability issues, but that the future may make it more viable.

Can anyone on the list make the claim they are doing this?

Are they also mirroring datafiles geographically?

What technology supports this?

Does anyone have any comments on whether this is a valid architecture?

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Mon Apr 16 2007 - 15:45:56 CDT