RE: RAC Geographical Architecture

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 08:03:08 +1000

Of course, one thing to note here is that there is not a separate product called RAC Extended Cluster. This is simply an implementation of RAC across a set of nodes that can be some distance from each other, where "some distance" is defined by the operating system capability of clustering nodes. Depending on the OS, this may be known under various names like campus cluster and so on.

And one more thing to note - I see this offered up sometimes as a complete HA solution. RAC, by itself, is to me not a complete HA solution until you add something like DataGuard as well. But that's another discussion altogether. :)

Pete

"Controlling developers is like herding cats'"
Kevin Loney, Oracle DBA Handbook

"Oh no, it's not, it's much harder than that!"
Bruce Pihlamae, long term Oracle DBA