RE: RMAN without a repository

From: <ryan_gaffuri_at_comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 21:10:15 +0000

yes, but I still have to know a sufficiently old DBID to pick the right controlfile to restore and I would need to know which backup to restore.

the docs set the DBID.

RMAN> SET DBID 320066378;
RMAN> RUN {
    SET CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP FORMAT
          FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO 'autobackup_format';     RESTORE CONTROLFILE FROM AUTOBACKUP;     }

If you're using the controlfile autobackup option, then you can use the "restore controlfile from autobackup" command:

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14192/recov004.htm

Yes, you have to set the DBID prior to doing this.

Regards,
Brandon

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of ryan_gaffuri_at_comcast.net Sent: Tuesday, April 10, 2007 12:40 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: RMAN without a repository

If I am making tape backups and I am using redundancy 4. How do I restore older backups after the controlfile recycles? Or do I set control_file_record_keep_time to a sufficiently large number?

do I have to write down the DBID and use that to restore an older copy? Privileged/Confidential Information may be contained in this message or attachments hereto. Please advise immediately if you or your employer do not consent to Internet email for messages of this kind. Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that do not relate to the official business of this company shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.
--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Tue Apr 10 2007 - 16:10:15 CDT