Re: alter table move

From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 22:47:25 +0800

Yes, the ALTER TABLE MOVE still requires that the table be offline -- and *also* that
the Indexes be rebuilt (Unique/PK indexes mean that you must continue to make the table
unavailable !).

What it does is to create a new segment (as a TEMPORARY segment) and copy data from the
existing segment to the new segment. Once the copy is completed successfully, the old segment
is dropped and the new one is renamed to that of the table name -- as an atomic operation.

You could look at DBMS_REDEFINITION as an alternative.

At 12:13 AM Friday, fmhabash_at_gmail.com wrote:
>I have done some research on this feature and would like to have
>other DBAs shed light on its real-life usage...

Hemant K Chitale
http://hemantoracledba.blogspot.com