Re: URGENT: Need data migration tool

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 07:16:17 -0700

On 4/5/07, Paula Stankus <paulastankus_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

> I need a good tool for quickly refreshing dev/test using a random and
> easily adjustable percentage of data. A tool that will preserve all
> relationships, constraints and that will migrate schemas and definitions.
> Including one that will migrate relationships between schemas that may only
> be in views and stored procedures or database links.

What you are asking for is inherently difficult.

Consider for a moment that a well developed schema will have primary keys and foreign keys. In this case the task of getting a subset of data is greatly simplified, but still a fair amount of work.

If you have such an application to work with, something like DataBee may work well for you.

If however you have schema that appears to have been designed by a room full of young children tossing magnetic words at the fridge ( and who doesn't ) then retrieving a subset of the data becomes very difficult. This type of schema often has little or no referential integrity built into it.

Such schemas require intimate knowledge of the data and structures in order to extract a subset, and doing so requires significant effort.

So, if your schema is strong on RI, you might want to give DataBee a shot. It if is not...

--
Jared Still