Re: dbverify slow on gpfs filesystems

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_vmsinfo.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 15:08:21 -0400

Manmohan Jalsingh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Has anyone noticed dbverify too slow on a GPFS filesystem in a RAC
> environment. I did a test on
> 4 GB database file (AIX 5.3, Oracle 10.2.0.3, gpfs 2.3 ) which took
> about 15
> minutes. On a
> similar non-RAC AIX server, the file took less than a minute. Any
> idea why
> it is taking so long
> on GPFS.

Gee, I'd say that dbverify has to lock each block before bringing it in the local block device cache.
Clustering file systems allow only one block in the buffer cache of any node. That is how they
keep them consistent. It's so called highlander philosophy. Actually, that is not entirely correct, but
as an explanation, it's close enough.

--
Mladen Gogala
Sr. Oracle DBA