Solaris 10 on AMD

From: Hatcher, Robert L. <RLHATCHE_at_southernco.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 15:40:39 -0400

We have a project that involves migrating instances from a Sun SPARC platform to AMD: Solaris 5.9 on SPARC and Solaris 10 on AMD. The general process is to export data from the instance on SPARC, ftp to AMD, then import to an instance on AMD. The problem we are having is in the import: it seems to hang. No error messages. Some even look like they complete (...successfully completed...) but control is not returned. We've done this many times for other migrations (HP to Sun, Sun to Linux), so we don't think it's a procedure or tool problem. We are concerned this may be an AMD issue. If anyone has any insights or experience with the AMD side, their input would be appreciated.

Robert L Hatcher
rlhatche_at_southernco.com