Re: Database Security Bang for the Buck

From: Dennis Williams <oracledba.williams_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 16:16:21 -0500

Deborah,

Hmm . . . tough choice. I think it depends on what you need to learn. If security is a big hot button at your site and you are relatively new to these topics, I'd go for the vendor training. Can't speak too directly to the IOUG conference, since I haven't been lately, but others can. May even be some security seninars at the conference. If security isn't heavy on your agenda, then I'm sure you'll pick up info on a broad range of topics at IOUG.
   Assuming you aren't taking vacation and paying for this from your own pocket, a lot will depend on what your boss wants to pay for. If said boss is really hot for one or the other or considers the out of town seminar a company-paid vacation, that will influence what you lobby for. Likewise if your boss has heard the vendor pitch, and really likes them, well, you see.

   I wouldn't worry too much about getting one vendor's slant on security. The verbage you forwarded doesn't make it sound like they are pushing their particular product, just providing well-rounded training in all the aspects of Oracle security. Could get you off to a fast start if your boss thinks you need to beef up security.

Dennis Williams