Re: Slightly OT - Mysql Training

From: Walt Weaver <weaver1308_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 08:50:24 -0600

An inexpensive way to start would be to buy the book _MySQL_ by Paul DuBois.

We recently sent a guy to the "MySQL for DBA's" class and he pronounced it pretty much a waste of time.

In my experience picking up MySQL after working with Oracle is more like taking on more "SysAdmin-ish" skills and responsibilities than new DBA ones. On the surface there isn't really much to learn and you can pretty much hit the ground running with it.

But, if you have the money to spend on a class, go to the annual MySQL Conference, which will be happening in about a month (in Santa Clara). The last couple of years they've had quite a few seminars with an Oracle vs. MySQL theme and were interesting.

And, if you start using MySQL in production extensively like we do you will discover that the MySQL optimizer and database engine has "quirks" that will keep you, um, busy on the database side of things.

--Walt